Tuesday, November 23, 2010

The Hall of Science in Queens


Business on Saturday took me to Queens, following which my wife and I decided to take in The Hall of Science, built for the 1964-1965 New York World's Fair and operating ever since. I'd last visited in 1965 at the age of 9, so this was a real treat for me.

I must say that minus the IMAX, the operating budget must be one-fourth the budget for Jersey City's Liberty Science Center which is in spitting distance of The Statue of Liberty, yet it's 4 times better.

I was pleasantly reminded of that which I'd forgotten, that being The History Wall (of famous mathematicians) in the permanent Mathematics exhibit. I could have spent all day there!

From the HoS website:

History Wall

The History Wall spans the time from the 12th century (approximately the beginning of modern mathematics) to the explosive development of mathematics today. Many of the world's greatest creative mathematicians are depicted. Each is designated by a panel made up of a portrait, personal introductory notes and significant mathematical achievements. Surrounding the portraits and biography are panels and notations that illustrate the active influence on the mathematicians and the important accomplishments of the period. A computer kiosk deployed more recently brings the analysis of mathematics up to date and allows for the expansion into future generations.

No comments: